CE for Active Members
Active Members of a State or National Insurance Association Can Receive up to 4 Hours of Self-Study Continuing Education
NAIFA-Texas member and State Senator Tommy Williams from The Woodlands introduced and helped pass Senate Bill 265 during the Regular Session of the 79th Legislature in 2005. SB 265 is landmark legislation and was a major legislative initiative pursued by NAIFA-Texas.
SB 265 authorizes the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) to grant up to four (4) hours of self–study continuing education credit, per two year reporting period, to an agent who is an active member of a state or national insurance association. To implement Senate Bill 265, TDI adopted new rules, adding Section 19.1020 to Title 28, Texas Administrative Code. Licensees may request CE credit under Section 19.1020 by sending to TDI, a completed “Association Credit Form” with actual time and detailed description of the number of hours in activities the licensee is claiming for CE credit.
Licensees may accumulate up to two (2) hours for reviewing educational materials provided by national or state associations in which they are members and up to four (4) hours for attending educational presentations sponsored by the state or national association.
A licensee claiming hours under this section may claim the actual time, up to an accumulated total of four hours.
CE hours under Section 19.1020 shall apply only as self study credit and shall not count towards the licensee's ethics, classroom, or classroom equivalent CE requirements.
Association members requesting this credit must submit to TDI an “Association Credit Form” provided by TDI.
For more information, contact TDI Agent Licensing at email@example.com or the NAIFA-TX office at (512) 716-8800
1) Must be an active member of a state or national insurance association in good standing. TIP: Stay current on paying dues.
2) Only up to two hours of credit can be earned by reviewing the educational materials from the national association. TIP: Read the NAIFA ADVISOR TODAY magazines and save them or at least the articles read, make copies of the articles and include them with the completed “Association Credit Form”.
3) Not more than four hours - the cumulative number of hours of credit claimed for attending the educational presentations: TIP: NAIFA Convention, NAIFA-Texas Convention, local meetings when the speaker is from NAIFA-Texas/NAIFA. Save programs and agendas, make copies and include them with the completed “Association Credit Form”.
4) Attending educational presentations sponsored by NAIFA-TX or NAIFA National. TIP: Keep handouts of speakers/Conference Program, make copies of the programs and include them with the completed “Association Credit Form”.
5) Send your completed “Association Credit Form” to TDI for approval. It is important that only ACTUAL TIME is requested on the form. Be as specific as possible when completing the “Description of Activities” on the form. Provide all hours that will be requested under this section at one time. CE hours under Section 19.1020 shall apply only as self study credit and shall not count towards the licensee's ethics, classroom, or classroom equivalent CE requirements.